Thursday, April 20, 2006

What happened to those summers??

It was a ritual for us, every couple of years we'd go there in the summer. We liked it. We got pampered, no home work, good food and people who thought we were most precious. Our activities for the one month we stayed there were, to play in the sun, bathe in the river, race up the temple steps, pray because we were told to and eat. And then we'd eat till we got sick. And then we'd get better and eat again..:) Everytime there was a strong wind we'd hear the mangoes fall from the trees and we'd pick up our baskets and run to collect them. We would wait eagerly to hear the ice-cream man's cycle bell because he would come just once a week!

It's true, you will never realise how much some is worth until you lose it. Now that we do not have the beautiful house anymore and most of the people who lived there have passed on, I miss it. I miss walking up the little hillock and seeing those familiar, smiling and wrinkled faces. I miss sneaking into the store-rooms to pinch some of the goodies that were made for us. I miss looking into the well and shouting just to hear the echo. All silly childish things they seem like...but give me a chance and i'd do it even today.

Well, its ok I guess..you cannot hold on to your childhood forever. I have wonderful memories of my summers thanks to my grandparents and that i will hold on to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Someone Somewhere Out There said...

Nostalgia, moments past, those moments which are a part of what we are now.. Ahhh..

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home