Friday, May 05, 2006

Subtle reminders

The other day I went out for lunch with a friend of mine, J. We were having a good time catching up and enjoying the food. Our server (it seems the term waitress is degrading) came to our table a couple of times to check if everything was ok and she would not talk to me but only to J. So the time came to pay the bill and as I was buying lunch I put my credit card in the folder. The server came back knowing that I had put in the card told J that they did not accept that particular card and I said "Oh that's ok, here is another" she thanked J and walked away.
By this time, J was quite upset as to why the server was not paying any attention to me and talked only to her. I just shrugged my shoulders and said that's her problem not mine.
I guess i should mention that J is an american and I am not.
J and I had a good time at lunch and I guess it was because I did not allow the 'incident' to get to me. Such things happen you cannot change the way people think and behave. There have been subtle reminders that I am different but no one has been mean or rude to me, so frankly it does not make my blood boil. I do not know if this is the right attitude but its just easier not to get too mad at such stuff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Someone Somewhere Out There said...

It's slmost impossible for me to ignore something like that. Which is the reason I admire your way of handling things so much. You keep your head, and genuinely dont let these things bother you. Its soooo cool, and so much more practical.
And I end up with ulcers :) I should borrow your cool-th for the next couple of weeks at least :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Meghna said...

That really sucks man. I don't think I could've let her get away without saying anything either. I hope you stiffed her properly on the tip. :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger D said...

hehehehe i did not tip her at all.. my friend did though.
ironic as it was.. the restaurant was Thai.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home